Organics Recycling is:
- Easy (check out the tips at the bottom of this page)
- Turns food waste into reusable compost
In 2019, the Tangletown Neighborhood Association received a grant from Hennepin County to promote Organics Recycling in Tangletown. While that grant is now complete, we continue to encourage residents to participate in the program and hope to serve as a resource to neighborhood residents with questions or concerns about the program. Read on to learn more and contact us if you have any questions!
New to Organics Recycling?
This short video is a great introduction for newbies:
Ready to sign up?
Click on this link which will redirect you to the city website to sign up for a green cart. You can also call 311. The city will send you a welcome packet which includes compostable bags to get you started.
Ready to increase your use?
We’re asking Tangletown residents who already have a green cart to commit to increase their use by:
- Collecting all compostable materials in their kitchen for organics recycling + learning how to waste less food at savethefood.com
- Beginning to collect organics in the bathroom including items like cotton balls and facial tissues
- Paying close attention to make sure the compostable plates, containers, silverware, and more that you purchase and use has BPI certification. Only BPI certified products can go in your green cart.
- Advocating at local businesses to make sure organics recycling is part of their business practices and any takeaway containers are BPI certified compostable.
Looking for More Information?
Check out this great list of helpful tools and resources so you can find success with Organics Recycling:
- Yes/No List (a detailed list of what materials are accepted)
- Home Setup examples (photos from Tangletown homes)
- FREE stickers for your bins
- Drop-off sites (Pearl & Kingfield parks are our closest)
- Minneapolis Solid Waste & Recycling (lots of good info)
- SET/The Mulch Store (our commercial composting site and where you can buy your compost if interested!)
- Hennepin County Organics Recycling resources
- Compostable Product Buying Guide (for the Tangletown area)
- BPI Certified Compostable Products (search any brand or type of item)
- Presentation by Kellie Kish (Mpls. Recycling Coordinator)
- Presentation by Anne Ludvik (Director at SET, our commercial composting facility)