BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, October 20, 2014 – 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park
Board members present: Steve Bieringer, Jane Elias, Charlie Siftar, Lauren Anderson, Laura Silver, Karen Costello, Sandra Bartsias, Andrea Siegel, Mary Jane Mitchell
Board members absent: Tony Proell, Jon Mcaab, Eric David, Matt Chapman, Ryan Fisher
Also present: Tjody deVaal
Called to order: 7:05pm
Fall Newsletter wrap-up
Tjody did a fantastic job on the Fall newsletter and will bring copies to the Washburn library.
Halloween Walking Tour
Tjody brought event flyers for board members to distribute. Mary Jane is happy to lend press pots for hot apple cider and Tjody plans to get cookies, apples and other treats during the tour. Board members are encouraged to bring treats to Fuller Rec Center at 7pm on Thursday, October 30th. So far there aren’t too many homes decorated; Tjody plans to walk the neighborhood this weekend to finalize the tour route. Steve will put together a route map to be posted on the website and on the neighborhood facebook group.
TNA Grant Program
TNA Coordinator position
Lauren gave an overview of the Hiring Committee’s progress. Andrea, Sandra, and Lauren met early in October to edit the job posting and propose a tentative timeline. The board discussed additional duties for the coordinator and the Hiring Committee will follow up via email in the next month to finalize the posting.
Fuller Park WiFi improvement
Steve reported that the park manager hiring process is still pending. The board would like to look into the cost of extending existing wifi to improve the signal strength in the multi-purpose room. Steve plans to inquire about wifi and air conditioning.
Fuller Park playground and pool shade structures update:
Steve gave an update on the hiring process for the Fuller Park Manager as well as the playground construction, which is proposed to take place in October. A manager should be in place later this month. Councilmember Quincy added that there’s a pool of potential managers awaiting assignments, so hopefully a new manager will be in place soon.
Volunteers of America – MN
The organization currently works with other neighborhoods on volunteer events – Steve will contact and invite them to write an article for the Fall Newsletter to promote opportunities for seniors.
Mary Jane reported that a new pet grooming and supply business on 54th near Lyndale (across from Annunciation) is planning to apply for a business façade grant. Charlie reported on a new business at 48th and Grand that showcases artisan bowls and may be interested in a business façade grant. Applications are available at tangletown.org.
Secretary’s report – a move to approve the September 2014 Minutes was made, seconded, and approved.
Treasurer’s report – Sandra reported that TNA was reimbursed by the City for half the cost of the bike racks installed this spring as planned. The 2014 taxes have been filed with the new form. The City also approved TNA’s Community Participation Program contract with $22,000/year for 2014, 2015 and 2016. Ineligible expenses from 2014 – 2016 include rides, food, and entertainment. TNA also has about $14,000 from 2012-2013 but needs to submit its 2013 Annual Report.
• Arts – Nothing to report. Waiting on the hiring of a Coordinator to move forward with projects.
• Communication – The Board discussed the vision for this committee, which will be primarily advisory once a Coordinator takes on some of the duties related to the e-newsletter, website, and newsletter.
• NRP – Nothing in addition to report.
• Sustainability – Mary Jane brought the keep leaves out of the street signs. Jane wondered about how to report neighbors who do blow leaves into the street. The committee discussed hosting an early December forum, but will most likely hold off and focus its efforts on the 2015 Green Day event. The board discussed promoting Hennepin County’s business waste assistance grants to neighborhood business.
• Business – The Committee is planning to meet in the upcoming month. Charlie reported that NEHBA is planning to reprint a SW business directory and is in process of distributing shop local signs. Linden Hills Business Association has a really great business guide that we could adapt for Tangletown businesses. Karen had the idea to add a page with dog-friendly businesses.
Partner and other announcements:
Congratulations to Ryan who got married over the weekend!
Minutes submitted by Lauren Anderson, TNA Secretary