March 2023 Board Meeting Minutes

March 20, 2023 TNA meeting:

Attendees, board members: Claire Blanchette, Pat Collins, Kyle Goldschmidt, Heather Grovum, Kellie Hanson, Scott Massey, Dirk Nicholson, Dan Treinen, and Will Young

Attendees, non-board members: Andrea Siegel

Called to order at 7:02

  1. Urban Indoor Farm Project
    1. Before the meeting, Dirk moved to join a letter written by other Neighborhood Associations in support of the Urban Indoor Farm Project; Scott seconded.  Dirk, Scott, Ben, Pat, Richard, and Heather voted in support.  Motion carried.
  2. Fuller Park updates:
    1. No updates
  3. Secretary update:
    1. Heather moved to approve February 2023 minutes; Kyle seconded.  Approved unanimously.
  4. Treasurer update:
    1. Things look really good right now
    2. Revenue sources will not continue, so need to keep trying to lower costs
  5. Councilmember Koski updates:
    1. Will be emailed to us from Andrea
  6. Charitable Organization Annual Report Form and 990-EZ
    1. Was prepared by CPA
      1. Kyle questioned lines 1 and 2 on page 6 of the Annual Report form wondering the source of those two numbers
        1. Based on end of year profits/loss statement
        2. “Grants” also includes some of the buckets of city funding money
      2. Kyle moved to approve Charitable Organization Annual Report Form; Heather form.  Approved unanimously
    2. 990-EZ form
      1. Claire noticed that Pat’s name was spelled incorrectly on page 4
      2. Kyle notes that the numbers align with the Annual Report Form
      3. Kyle moved to approve form; Heather seconded.  Approved unanimously.
  7. 2022 Neighborhoods Annual Report
    1. Will noted a missing apostrophe in question 19.
    2. Kyle moved to approve (with the apostrophe added); Heather seconded.  Passed unanimously.
  8. Committee updates
    1. Environmental
      1. Planning a clothing swap for summer 2023
      2. Met with a promoter of the Plastic Free Challenge wanting to add school supplies to the clothing swap (new or unused from previous years)
      3. Saturday August 19 is a tentative date
      4. Spring compost fundraiser will be same as prior years and they would like to partner with BLUH Committee with Spring Spruce Up on Neighborhood Day (May 13)
      5. They are waiting to hear back from Mayflower about whether that date will work
      6. Planning to have 10 cubic yards of compost as well as bags available for purchase while other scan bring their own containers
      7. Want to have a table with a presentation about the organics grant and have other committees with tables highlighting their programming
      8. Discussing having someone from Electrify Everything present at one of the upcoming meeting
      9. Upcoming plans are to focus on water, energy, and waste but may add environmental justice as another focus
      10. Only one solar rebate has been submitted so far, but it was preapproved
      11. Applying for Hennepin County Green Partners grant to focus on electronics waste
      12. Design consultations will occur this week for the Pollinator grant
    2. Equity
      1. One parent had discussed swapping children’s bicycles or scooters that are outgrown quickly
      2. Intend to highlight that the Board signed off on the letter regarding EPNI
      3. Are going to run some focus groups that will not necessarily be weekday evenings and will need some board members who can volunteer for about 90 minutes
        1. Trying to provide child care and translation if necessary
        2. Likely dates needing volunteers are (Doodle will be sent after meeting):
          1. Saturday April 29 afternoon (St. John’s can host)
          2. Monday May 1 in the evening (Fuller Park can host)
      4. Talking about having Food Drive on May 13 as part of Neighborhood Day with drop-off, pick-up at Mayflower to then drop off food at Joyce
        1. Also will have an in-person drop-off at annual meeting on May 15 for any other food drop-off
    3. Building and Land Use
      1. WCCO news may be doing a Finding Minnesota segment on the water tower
      2. Still researching Richfield Mill
      3. Received responses that no action can be taken on our safe intersection submissions to the city
      4. Will be having Spring Spruce Up on May 13 for Neighborhood Day
        1. Will will talk with Heather to figure out how to coordinate and where BLUH can help with Spring Spruce Up at Mayflower
        2. Andrea can pick up litter pick-up supplies for free from the committee
    4. Livability and Engagement
      1. We will continue to operate without a committee at least until strategic planning after May 
    5. Merger Task Force
      1. Our Executive Committee met with Kingfield’s Executive Committee on March 13 for long discussion about goals, initiatives, etc.
      2. Discussion would have
        1. 1 executive director for merged organization
        2. Board members seated by population
      3. Same merger resolution language but with intent to merge just with Kingfield (rather than Lyndale).  Scott moved to vote on progressing with this process, Heather seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.  (Kyle not present for this vote)
  9. Neighborhood Day
    1. City council would like to have all neighborhoods have elections on the same day
    2. In lieu of that, they want all neighborhoods to host programming on May 13
      1. We will be combining Spring Spruce Up, Food Drive, compost events, tables for the committees all at the same event
        1. Mayflower has confirmed we can use their parking lot
      2. Want to also use Neighborhood Day as a recruitment opportunity
      3. Want to also have renter resources present
  10. Annual Meeting
    1. Suggested Larry Matsumoto from the Department of Public Works speak about the 50th Street project again
    2. Pat suggested Councilmember Koski (and any announced opponent)
    3. Will suggested someone from Kingfield to talk about their programming
    4. Pat suggested someone from Canopy to talk about mental health crises
    5. Dirk suggested inviting Mayor Frey
    6. Pat suggested Emma Greenman and Zaynab Mohamed from the legislature
    7. Talked about requesting donated gift cards and trying to obtain food from local restaurants
    8. There will be a poll
    9. Location could be Fuller Park, virtual, at a restaurant
      1. Andrea has reserved Fuller Park if needed
  11. Fourth of July
    1. If continuing, we need to start planning now (based upon past history)
      1. Andrea will need help if we continue
      2. Other former committee members have heard about possibility of rescheduling
        1. One liked keeping it on July 4; the other was more willing to switch the date
    2. Park is planning a movie night, ice cream social for Saturday July 29
      1. We can partner as much as we would like including having Fourth of July party culminating in the movie night
    3. Heather moved to not have a Fourth of July; Will seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.  (Claire and Kyle not present for vote)
    4. We will begin to share with the neighborhood that it will not be happening this year, but we will partner with Fuller Park to piggyback on the July 29 event
  12. Executive Director report
    1. Will be on vacation March 31-April 8
  13. Meeting adjourned at 900