June 2023 Board Meeting Minutes

June 20, 2023 TNA meeting:

Attendees, board members: Claire Blanchette, Pat Collins, Heather Grovum, Kellie Hanson, Juliana Keen, Ben Levy, Patrick Prochaska, Ian Stade, Mark Tiede, and Will Young

Attendees, non-board members: Emily Koski and Andrea Siegel

Called to order at 7:06

  1. Fuller Park updates:
    1. Recent friction about people with off leash dogs in the park
    2. The park currently has no enforcement mechanism
    3. Emailing 311@minneapolis.mn.gov will help get the city’s attention to spur more monitoring by animal control
  2. Councilmember Koski updates:
    1. Department of Justice investigation was released regarding MPD with very damning details
      1. MDHR and DOJ will collaborate and consolidate enforcement of consent decrees
      2. Need to establish the Behavioral Response Team
    2. Experience MSP scheduled for July 11 from 430-1030 at Sabathani Community Center to learn more about the airport
    3. Painted Turtle recently opened for food service at Lake Nokomis
    4. Ward 11 construction map is updated and connected through her newsletter
    5. Hennepin County Attorney’s Office is now collaborating with law enforcement aimed at early interventions of youth crime
    6. Hazardous Waste Disposal event scheduled for June 23 and 24 at Pillsbury Elementary
    7. Mayor’s budget recommendations are due for August 14 to the council
      1. She’s recommending things to build out the legislative branch to hold the mayor accountable including financial analysts and audit team
    8. Does not have contact information for May attendee who harassed Gina Obiri
  3. Secretary update:
    1. Heather moved to approve April 2023 minutes; Mark seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.
  4. Treasurer update:
    1. No update because of vacant position
  5. Safe Meetings
    1. Discussion of the harassment endured by Gina Obiri after her presentation at the May meeting
    2. Motion to:
      1. Always escort guest speakers in and out of TNA meetings
      2. Ask all persons asking a question of a speaker to identity themselves
      3. Will moved, Heather seconded.  Ian called the question.  Passed unanimously
    3. Will also seek out training on how to respond to disruptive or disrespectful attendees
  6. Officer Elections
    1. Pat C., Kellie, and Will volunteered to continue in same positions for 2023-24
    2. Pat P. volunteered to serve as treasurer
    3. Ian, Will, and Claire volunteered to serve as editors for the e-newsletter
    4. Heather volunteered to serve as grant administrator
    5. Mark moved, Ben seconded all these positions.  Motion passed unanimously.
  7. Candidate Forum
    1. League of Women Voters has invited TNA to partner
      1. No date selected yet
      2. Seeking partnership in conjunction with other neighborhood associations
    2. Juliana moved, Heather seconded our partnership.  Motion passed unanimously
    3. Will need to ensure complies with new TNA policies regarding guest speakers discussed above
  8. Committee Updates
    1. Environmental
      1. Recent discussion about the Electrify Everything Campaign
      2. Minneapolis Toy Library visited and is accepting donations
      3. 10 yards of compost ordered for Neighborhood Day event, 3 years were left over
        1. Estimated the event netted $448.00 in revenue for TNA
      4. 1 solar rebate request has been submitted
        1. Brainstorming ideas to spread the word about the rebate program
      5. Letter sent to CM Koski to secure funding for the climate plan
        1. The mayor does not support electrification
      6. Hennepin County Green Partners grant submitted to eliminate electronic waste
      7. Clothing swap scheduled for August 19 at St. John’s Church
      8. Lawns to Legumes now planted with 70 gardens spread across 3 neighborhoods
    2. Equity
      1. Discussed bystander training
      2. Discussed providing escorts for guest speakers to meeting
      3. Also discussed providing the name to Gina Obiri of the disruptive attendee
        1. Decided to provide the name via an email from Pat Collins
    3. Building, Land Use, and Housing
      1. More information found about the Lyndale Mill at the library but return trips needed
      2. Currently not taking positions on property developments in the neighborhood but will discuss when doing strategic planning
  9. July 29 Summer party
    1. Band has been booked
    2. People are needed for the planning committee (meeting every third Friday at noon)
    3. Food trucks, face painters, and bounce house have been booked
    4. Volunteer sign-up website will be shared shortly
  10. Executive Director Report
    1. Suggested strategic planning in August in place of the standard board meeting
    2. This internal strategic planning will occur rather than hiring a consultant

Meeting adjourned at 8:49pm