June 2019 Board Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, June 17th, 2019 – 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park

Board members present: Dan Williams, Pat Collins, Brian McDonald, Dirk Nicholson, Carl Arrell, Kellie Hanson, Brenda Anderson, Alyssa Thull, Craig Wiester, Bernadette Tomko

Board members absent: John Dukich (LoA)

Also present:Sally Bauer (TNA Executive Director), Rachel Hoben (Fuller Park Director), Dick Fiala

Called to order:7:04

Officer Reports:

Secretary– Brian made a motion to approve the April minutes, Alyssa seconded.  Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Treasurer – Brian asked for approval to investigate options for moving free cash into a money market account, the board agreed. Brian and Carl will present options at the next board meeting.

Councilmember Schroeder Update

Jeremy gave a short update about Regenerative Urban Agriculture and the Minneapolis budget process. He also noted that National Night Out was coming up on August 6th and that the City’s minimum wage increases on July 1st.

Dick Fiala Board Election

After taking a hiatus Dick asked to re-join the board. Carl made a motion to appoint Dick Fiala to the board. Alyssa seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Officer Elections

Outgoing president Briana presided over officer elections. Nominations were Carl for President, Kellie for Vice President, Dan for Secretary, and Brian for Treasurer. Voice vote to elect all nominees to their positions, all in favor, motion approved.

Fuller Park Table Request

Rachel requested $600 for purchase of 6 tables, Sally indicated the funding could come from new NRP contracts for community engagement/events. Alyssa moved to approve a budget of $600 for the request, Dirk seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Canopy Storage

Dick has 12 TNA canopies stored in his basement and asked if any board members could store some. He will bring them to the 4th of July. Brian and Dan volunteered to take 2 each. Pat might be able to take a couple.

Committee Updates

Spaces: members dropped fliers at houses along the creek with information about the Southwest parks plan concepts. As part of the banner initiative the committee will need to adjust the TNA logo to be more visible on banners; the scope of changes is unknown. Sally noted that banner budget was supposed to come back to the full board for approval due to the scope of branding and expense.

Dirk moved to budget $1000 of the existing Spaces signage budget for modification of the existing TNA logo for banners. Dan seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Engagement: Dick noted that volunteers are needed for the 4th of July. Brenda will ask for volunteers from the Washburn Volleyball team. Backup plan is to pay park staff (at $20/hr) but we’d rather have volunteers. Committee is exploring a more adult-focused autumn event as well.

Environmental: Members staffed TNA tables at Open Streets and the Fuller Ice Cream Social. The committee plans to hire door knockers to promote organics, and held recycling tours of Eureka Recycling. Dirk asked about the existing storm drain “buttons” versus the Tangletown design contest. The environmental committee thought they would get more engagement if they held a design contest rather than use the City’s program. Pat and Sally will investigate the city’s buttons.

ED Report

Editors: Kellie, Craig, Alyssa, and Dan volunteered to edit Sally’s e-newsletters and print newsletters.

4th of July: Sally asked for volunteers to loan TNA devices (tablets, phones, etc) for ticket sales via PayPal, or be present to use their devices for ticket sales. Sally will research devices and email a proposal for email voting. Sally contracted a former coworker (Quinn) to run the 4th of July event as Sally is not available in -person.

Website: Sally noted that changes are in progress and a new theme has been installed.

SW Area/Minnehaha Parkway Parks Concepts: Sally had fliers about park concepts printed and Dirk and Brenda have begun distributing them. Bernadette volunteered to help.

Adjourned: 8:08

Minutes submitted by Dan Williams, TNA Secretary