BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, June 20, 2016 – 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park
Board members present: Dan Williams, Andrew Buss, Sandra Bartsias, Joy Gottschalk, Ryan Fisher, Dick Fiala, Mary Jane Mitchell, Briana Daymont, Steve Bieringer, Joy Glasser, Katherine Kornblum, Dick Wager, Justin Wills
Past/Present Board members absent: Lauren Anderson, Andrea Siegel, Karen Costello, Dylan Sirny, Laura Silver, Eric David, Virgil Petrie, Peter DeVaal
Also present: Sarah Cedarblade (Fuller Park Director), Abby Rowan, Forest Hardy (City of Minneapolis Transportation Planner), Kurt Wayne (City of Minneapolis Transportation Planner)
Called to order: 7:07pm
Annual Meeting Recap
We had about 38 attendees for our 2016 Annual Meeting. The event went well and there were no suggestions for improvements from the board at this time.
Diamond Lake & Pleasant Ave Bumpout Project
Forest and Kurt from the City of Minneapolis presented a plan to build a single bumpout on the north-east corner of Diamond Lake Road and Pleasant Ave S. Seal coating in 2015 triggered pedestrian ramp upgrades on the south side of Diamond Lake Road, and while nothing was done to the north side at that time, the Pleasant Ave intersection was flagged for upgrades. Benefits of the bumpout include opened-up sight lines and shorter crossing distance for pedestrians. Pleasant Ave has a pedestrian crossing at Minnehaha Creek, is a future bicycle boulevard in the Minneapolis Bicycle Master Plan, and already has lots of bicycle and pedestrian traffic. The City will test the bumpout for 30 days with plastic posts and count traffic and pedestrian crossings starting this week or next, and plans construction starting in early August. The bumpout would require moving a bus stop 25ft to the east and would remove one parking space for a homeowner. It may also increase queuing of cars on Diamond Lake Road when pedestrians cross.
Forest and Kurt looked for a resolution of support from the Board, but Ryan and Andrew suggested holding any resolution until the homeowner is notified of the project and the initial traffic study is done, hopefully by our July meeting. Forest and Kurt will return to the July meeting to present the results of that study and the board will discuss the issue again.
4th of July Status Update
Ryan noted that planning is on-schedule and most tasks are in-order. Abby is soliciting and collecting volunteer information from neighborhood residents and board members. We have volunteers specifically interested in pouring fruit water again; Ryan will confirm whether or not fruit water will be available this year. Board members should let Abby know via email ASAP what their preference is for volunteer duties. Kim Karstad (our balloon vendor) agreed to $150 for reduced time window versus last year.
Andrew will ensure a photographer is present from 9:30 – 12:00. Postcards were already mailed and delivered.
Dan will reach out to Tjody about updated flyers and posters, which Dan, Mary Jane, and Joy will distribute.
Ryan will email link to tasks spreadsheet to the board.
Abby will send the setup map to the board mailing list.
Sarah will block the parking lot with cones on the morning of the 4th.
Sandra proposed a budget of $4,000 for 4th of July Party. Ryan moved to approve the budget, Steve seconded. Voice vote, motion approved.
Secretary – A motion to approve the May 2016 minutes was made, seconded and approved via voice vote.
Treasurer – The TNA account has $7,048 and the NCR account has $12,147.
Sandra did a preliminary profit & loss for fiscal 2015 and determined that the board spent $26,118 and took in $14,041, leading to a “loss” of $12,077.76. Income included $10,563 from reimbursed CPP contracts, $2,568 from ticket sales from the 2015 4th of July, $490 from the garage sale, $100 from Restorative Justice Community Action, and $320 in donations. Expenditures included $5,775 for organics recycling and solar gardens initiatives, $1,056 for the May annual meeting (postcards, postage, food, supplies), TNA Coordinator hours, $2,823 so far for the 4th of July (postcards, signs, vendors, materials), and other expenses. We expect to be reimbursed for some of these expenses through City CPP contracts.
Since Sandra is stepping down from the role of Treasurer, she will ensure the new treasurer is up-to-speed with upcoming 2015 CPP reimbursement requests.
President, Vice President, and Treasurer positions are open.
Justin Wills was nominated, seconded, and approved for Treasurer via voice vote.. Joy Gottschalk was nominated, seconded, and approved for President via voice vote. Lauren Andersen was nominated, seconded, and approved for Vice President via voice vote.
Peter deVaal has moved out of Tangletown and notified Abby that he will therefore resign from the board. Steve volunteered to stay on as a regular board member instead of resigning the board as he had planned. Abby showed the new Tangletown table sign, parade banner, and tall tent-marker signs.
Abby will also look into music options for the 4th parade. Katherine mentioned Patrick Prochaska would be interesting in helping out.
Abby also noted the prizes for 4th of July games, which include superhero backpacks, eye-patches, soaker water guns, beach balls, hats, and more. Sara and her Parks Department team will staff prize tables while prizes are supplied by TNA.
Sarah said the June 10th movie night (Frozen) was well attended, with Park staff handing out 150 bags popcorn.
The rec center’s men’s outside bathroom has been broken into a few times overnight in the past month and park staff have been replacing the lock each time. The most recent break-in actually broke the door and park staff replaced the lock with a temporary clasp lock. A new door is on-order and expected in 35 – 40 days. Park police have scheduled extra patrols around 9:30 at night and neighbors should report an suspicious activity to park staff.
Sarah noted that TNA could help the park with contributions towards better lighting by the pool and a new basketball hoop.
Partner and Other Announcements
Minutes submitted by Dan Williams, TNA Secretary