July 2023 Board Meeting Minutes

July 17, 2023 TNA meeting:

Attendees, board members: Claire Blanchette, Pat Collins, Heather Grovum, Juliana Keen, Patrick Prochaska, Ian Stade, Mark Tiede, and Will Young

Attendees, non-board members: Andrea Siegel

Called to order at 7:04

  1. Secretary update:
    1. Heather moved to approve June minutes, Pat P. seconded.  Passed unanimously.
  2. Fuller Park update:
    1. Three staff members present to work the event
  3. Treasurer update:
    1. Names transferred on all bank account to new members
    2. Currently under budget
    3. Reimbursements have not yet been submitted to the city
  4. Councilmember Koski updates:
    1. Black Business Week to be July 24-30 with info on City website
    2. New 311 system planned to go online on July 19 hoping to be more equitable
    3. Pilot program about sidewalk snow clearing might include funding for neighborhood associations
    4. Draft MSP airport longterm plan was created
    5. Council budget committee meeting will be July 25
    6. Next Ward 11 safety meeting will be August 8
    7. Will to draft question for Councilmember Koski regarding Cedric Alexander’s recent interview with Star Tribune
  5. Update on May meeting
    1. Gina Obiri was emailed, no response received
  6. Candidate Forum:
    1. Windom, Hale, Page-Diamond Lake all willing to cohost
    2. Cost for streaming and recording likely to be about $200 if split three-ways
      1. Will moved to allocate $250 for event; Mark seconded.  Passed unanimously.
    3. Trying to finalize a date in mid-September
    4. Would be promoted through Southwest Connector and Southwest Voices
    5. Likely to be cancelled if Councilmember Koski is running unopposed
    6. Will mention TNA requirement that all guests be escorted
  7. Strategic Planning:
    1. August will be used to make a 3-year strategic plan and to make sure funding aligns with the plan
    2. Andrea to confirm what difference balances can and cannot be used for
    3. Andrea, Heather, and Will to be a planning committee to meet before August meeting
    4. Pat C. moved for up to $250 for food from Pepitos; Heather seconded.  Passed unanimously.
  8. Summer Party
    1. Two tables will be there related to voting 
    2. Heather in the process of organizing donations of gift cards to raffle as a fundraiser
    3. Rain call will be made by 4pm
  9. Committee Updates
    1. Environmental
      1. Second solar rebate was submitted
        1. Scheduling a walking tour to create more buzz
        2. Conversation about “shares” for renters
      2. No update on Green Partners grant
    2. Equity
      1. Discussed incentives to reach renters
      2. Started strategic planning discussion with equity to guide the planning
      3. Want land acknowledgement on any future signs
      4. Working to get upstander/bystander training for the group
    3. Building, Land Use, and Housing
      1. Still proceeding with Lyndale Mill sign project
      2. Challenge to 5005 Lyndale decision to be heard by City on July 25
    4. No update for Southwest Neighborhoods Collaborative because still waiting for consultant
  10. July 29 Summer party
    1. Band has been booked
    2. People are needed for the planning committee (meeting every third Friday at noon)
    3. Food trucks, face painters, and bounce house have been booked
    4. Volunteer sign-up website will be shared shortly
  11. Executive Director Report
    1. Lots of positive feedback for Lawns to Legumes
  12. Board members
    1. Richard has been nonresponsive for several months and did not respond to email about meeting
    2. Heather moved to remove Richard from board; Mark seconded.  Passed unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 8:32pm