April 2016

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, April 18, 2016 – 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park

Board members present: Dan Williams, Lauren Anderson, Andrew Buss, Andrea Siegel, Karen Costello, Sandra Bartsias, Joy Gottschalk, Ryan Fisher, Dick Fiala, Mary Jane Mitchell,

Board members absent: Dylan Sirny, Laura Silver, Eric David, Steve Bieringer, Virgil Petrie

Also present: Councilmember John Quincy, Tjody deVaal, Sarah Cedarblade (Fuller Park Director), Kristine Maurer

Called to order: 7:06pm

Fall Leaf Cleanup Event
Kristine Maurer recently completed her Master Water Steward certification and for her capstone project wants to lead a fall leaf cleanup event since leaf waste is a significant pollutant of our lakes and streams. She asked the board for assistance in contacting neighborhood residents who might want help with leaf raking and volunteers to help. Lauren proposed an addition to the fall newsletter and suggested working with Washburn’s Green Team. John Quincy noted that the event should be coordinated with the city street sweeping schedule to ensure raking happens before streets are swept. Kristine also asked for help with advertising (fliers, lawn signs, signup help, social media promotion), leaf-bags, rakes, refreshments, and t-shirts for volunteers. Lauren moved to support Kristine’s event and efforts; Mary-Jane seconded. Voice vote, motion approved, none opposed. We will revist her efforts closer to any planned event.

Garage Sale
Registrations are running a bit behind normal numbers. The newsletter was a bit late coming out so Ryan expects more this registrations to come in this week. The newsletter is also posted on the TNA website so interested people can find the sign-up form there as well. Abby will also post about sign-ups on Facebook, and Lauren suggested creating a Google form for a smoother sign-up experience instead of only email.

Annual Meeting
Abby reported that the food is confirmed at about $230 this year versus $150 last year. We added another of each of the three food items. Abby also reported that the 25 water bottles were delivered for a total of $106. Abby will hand them off to Virgil for engraving. Minneapolis city speakers are confirmed and Steve will bring a projector. Tjody reported that she has begun framing photo contest entries, and we are still accepting entries until May 12th. Lauren will purchase compostable supplies for the meeting. Andrea requested an additional postcard mailing for the annual meeting as an additional reminder, which should include a section about joining the TNA board.

Tjody will donate time to repaint a banner to hang on the side of the Fuller Rec Center and she asked for $30 for supplies. Sarah Cedarblade will promote the annual meeting on the Fuller Rec Center sign outside. Mary-Jane suggested an after-party at La Fresca like in past years; Andrea will ask La Fresca if they have space for 15 – 20 people after the meeting.

There should be a short presentation about TNA initiatives and accomplishments over the past year, including what we want to do for the future, which might help recruit board members.

CPR Training
Eric was not present and this topic was tabled until the next meeting.

46th Street Focus Group
The city and county are planning to restripe 46th street this summer, and will present the final proposal on May 11th at MLK park. The proposal will better accommodate bike traffic and will include reconfigured parking, bus stops, and traffic calming measures. The city is asking for non-binding approval from Kingfield and Tangletown neighborhood associations. There are concerns about reduced parking for businesses at the Grand and Nicollet business nodes, and about changes to the bus layover near Steve’s Auto on Nicollet. John Quincy stated that the process has been comprehensive and happening for a long time. Ryan will bring a large plan map to the May annual meeting, but is concerned that more extensive discussion will derail the main focus of the annual meeting. The annual meeting postcard mailer could direct interested people to the MLK Park meeting intsead. Ryan will write text for the postcard.

2016 – 2017 TNA Board Members and Officers
Board terms expire in June. Sandra wants to step down as treasurer. Karen and Andrea would both like to step down from the board and but remain involved as volunteers. Mary-Jane and Lauren contemplating stepping down as well. Steve would like to step down as President. This means we need a new President, Vice President, Treasurer. We should advertise board executive openings and possibly incentivize joining the board.

4th of July
Diamond Lake Rental items are confirmed including a newer dunk tank. The Castle Remodeling jumper is confirmed, but we need to pick it up and drop it off. The 4th of July committee will meet soon to continue handling remaining items.

Officer Reports:
Secretary – A motion to approve the March 2016 minutes was made, seconded and approved.
Treasurer – Sandra noted that CPP reimbursements apparently cannot inlcude food, so she transfers money from TNA account to NCR account for these expenses and asked for approval of this process. Dan moved to approve these transfers; Karen seconded, voice vote, motion carried, none opposed. The NCR has $9,111.22 and the TNA account has $18,317.99.

Neighborhood Priorities Status / Committee Reports

Fuller Park (Steve, Virgil): The Park Board will be showing Frozen outside in the park on June 10th. TNA could run a popcorn machine (and even stamp bags with TNA logo). Cost for popcorn is $42/case. Lauren moved to approve $50 for popcorn for the movie; Dan/Andrea second, voice vote, motion carried, none opposed. We should advertise movie at annual meeting. Andrea and Ryan will staff a TNA table during the movie.

Board Development (Karen, Andrew, Dick): the committee is pulling together a single site for new board members, info on city funding, charter, bylaws, etc. Abby suggested running it by long-serving board members for review.

Utility Box Wraps (Dan, Andrea): the committee submitted a list of utility boxes in Tangletown to the city for vetting and all but one are owned by the city and are approved for wrapping. We will now begin collecting photos for our target of 2 – 3 box wraps later this year.

Sustainability/Green Team (Lauren, Joy): the committee is launching Organics Captain training. One will be held April 19th at Fuller Park and another later in Lynnhurst to educate and empower residents. Organics captains are expected to to talk with neighbors and hold info sessions to attempt to increase participation in the city’s organics recycling effort. The committee is also building a list of residents passionate about sustainability in the neighborhood to get contacts for pushing out information. Organics cart delivery schedule has also been posted on the TNA website.

Website/Communications (Eric, Dylan, Ryan, Laura): Ryan researched WordPress calendar widgets and ran into technical difficulties but still plans to add calendar functionality to the website.

School Relationships (Mary Jane, Sandra): Sandra emailed Washburn Arts Council to connect looking for face painters for the 4th of July.

Coordinator Report
Abby received the water bottles and will hand them off to Virgil for engraving. She researched storage unit options at the behest of the board, and the best options are 150 West 81st Bloomington for 2×3 @ $31, 5×5 @ $55 and 2845 Harriet in Minneapolis (twice as expensive). Board decided to punt this decision and live with our current storage situation.

Partner and Other Announcements

Adjourned: 8:56pm

Minutes submitted by Dan Williams, TNA Secretary